To look great, shorts must be well-fitting regardless of their style. Shorts that don't fit you can look extremely awkward and ruin the look, which is why it is impertinent to make accurate measurements before buying shorts online.
The best way to measure a pair of shorts is to lay them down carefully on a flat surface, such as a table or floor, and smoothen out any wrinkles or folds. If you’re purchasing a pair of shorts from a brand you already have, this is a reliable method. Otherwise, you can also measure your own body and apply the measurements to the sizing guide given by the website or brand.
We’ve laid down a step-by-step guide on taking measurements from shorts below. Read on to find out more.
Steps To Measure A Pair of Shorts
- Waist - Measure the waist of your shorts by buttoning up the pair, and laying it down front-side up on a flat surface, without any wrinkles or lines. Then, using a measuring tape, measure the waistband from end-to-end in a straight line.
- Hip - Measuring the hip area is similar to measuring the waist. The hip area on the shorts is usually 1.5-2 inches below the zipper. Take the measuring tape and pull it from one end of the hip to the other.
- Thigh - Measure the thigh area by placing the tip of the tape measure at the crotch seam and measuring it till 1-2 inches below where the hip area ends.
- Front Rise - Measuring the front rise is extremely crucial for a pair of well-fitting shorts. The best way to accurately measure the front rise is to lay the shorts on a flat surface, like a table or floor, smoothing out the wrinkles and measuring from the waist to the crotch seam.
- Length - With the shorts on a flat surface and all wrinkles and lines removed, measure from the tip of the waistband till the end of the pant leg. However, the length will differ according to the type of shorts you’d like to purchase.
- Inseam - With the shorts properly buttoned up, spread the pair on a smooth and flat surface, and remove any wrinkles. Then measure the inseam area from the inner thigh area of the crotch, where the front and back seams meet, to the bottom of the shorts.
- Leg Area - The leg area is the opening at the end of the shorts, and you can measure it by placing the tip of the tape measure at one end of the opening and pulling it to the other. The leg area will also depend on the style of shorts you would like to purchase.
Steps To Measure Yourself
- The Waist - Stand up straight and in a relaxed, comfortable posture. Do not suck in your stomach or clench. Using the tape, measure the smallest area of the waist. Your “waist” is usually the distinct area between your stomach and ribs.
- The Hips - Your hips are crucial when it comes to measuring a pair of well-fitting shorts. Measure the widest portion of your hips, and similar to measuring your waist, wrap it around your hip comfortably. It shouldn’t be too loose or too tight. Your hip is the area right above your hip bones.
- The Thigh - Choose the widest area of your thigh, and then place the tip of the tape measure on the front and wrap it around the thigh and bring to the end on the front again, similar to measuring your waist and hips. This will map to
For a step-by-step, visual guide, refer to this video by Tabors Treasures.
Tips For Making Measurements
- Ensure that all the measurements are made with the shorts placed on a smooth surface, like a table or floor, and all wrinkles smoothened out.
- Do not hold the tape measure too tightly or loose while measuring. It should wrap around your body well.
- Make sure that all the measurements are as accurate as possible.
- Consult an international sizing chart as each country or region has its own sizing rules. Brands differ in sizing as well, and companies like HM and Forever 21 are known for having garments that run a size larger. So it is important to match your measurements with their sizing guide.
- Always refer to the sizing guide mentioned by a brand/store.
To reduce the return rate after a successful sale, we also recommend that you can create a size chart with unit conversion to make your customers pick the unit they are most comfortable to think in to make a purchase decision.
Or use Kiwi Sizing AI Size Recommender as a size chart tool. It will recommend the most suitable size of products for customers to reduce return rate, help you decrease the cost of the return, and to create a positive cycle of your e-commerce business.
- Official Website：https://www.kiwisizing.com/
- YouTube Tutorial：https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQpP0NIIALWyMIa6NrFH3dw
- Demo Website：https://demo.kiwisizing.com/
- Showcase: https://www.kiwisizing.com/showcases/size-charts